Sunday, June 2, 2013

How I met my Shasta trailer

Before I saw my little compact I had never laid eyes on a Shasta before and never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd want, much less own, a trailer. My boyfriend and I were visiting our hometown and one of our first stops was his grandmother's house. As soon as we drove up to her house I was transfixed by the unusual looking camper. I couldn't believe how small it was and it had wings of all things?!!? I walked around her over and over again taking in all the details; the slope of the roof, how she looked like a ham, the very bad paint job, the ugly AC sticking out like a sore thumb and the bug like tail-lights that just looked weird, how tiny she was and those cute little painted wings. It was love at first sight. I knew I had to have one and although I knew my boyfriend would be hesitant I was sure I could convince him for us to start looking for one like it online to buy since he was also curiously examining the trailer. After 30 min. or so of hanging around outside looking at it we finally went to the front door. The whole time we were inside I couldn't help but think of that little trailer parked outside and how I could convince my boyfriend it would be a good idea to get one of our own. I was itching to look online for this Shasta trailer with wings, but I didn't want to be rude by having my nose in my phone. While we were catching up on family news I was racking my brain with a way to casually ask about the trailer outside, but my boyfriend beat me to it [which I rejoiced at and took it as good progress towards convincing him for us to get one of our own]. His grandmother mentioned that she was considering selling it since people kept stopping to ask how much she wanted for it and she had just purchased a bigger trailer anyway. It was so hard not to start bouncing in my seat! I was overwhelmed with excitement and all the possibilities. We live fairly close to the beach and this camper would be perfect for weekend getaways without having to pay for expensive hotels. The conversation then veered onto a different subject, but I couldn't really follow anymore my brain was in overdrive. How did it look on the inside? Was it in good condition? Would our car be able to tow it? How much did she want for it? Did she already find a buyer? on and on my thoughts circled around the trailer. As we were getting ready to leave a few hours later the conversation steered back to the trailer and we all went to get a look at the inside. It looked like it had an undetectable extension charm put on it, it looked so much bigger from the inside! It had a queen sized bed, a functional kitchen complete with fridge and a restroom too! It was almost perfect, all it needed was a shower... I asked her how much she was asking for it and she said she'd had offers over five thousand as is. My <3 immediately sank. It was too rich for our blood =[... and then she added she'd sell it to with family pricing more than 50% off. I tentatively looked at my bf to see his reaction. We exchanged a look and I knew we were both on the same page... and then he asked "would you give it to us in payments for a year"? and she said yes! Boom, we had a deal! We finally finished paying her off and although we wanted to move her to our place the HOA wouldn't allow us so we tarped her up and settled her in at his Mom's place until we could figure something out. We have used her a couple of times and she is great for the beach just like I knew she would be. She needed only a few upgrades here and there like a shower and a paint job, but it could wait. Unfortunately, hurricane season was unkind and caused a leak around the vent which in turn caused moderate warping of the inside. We just got word that the man we hired got her fixed [she's at his grandma's house under her supervision, this same handyman that has worked on her own trailer so I have hope he did at least an ok job]. I'm a perfectionist so it's bothering me to no end that I don't know the quality of his work or what exactly he did to fix her since I wasn't there to look over his shoulder and document the materials he used. I really hope he did a good job and she'll stop leaking and will be structurally sound enough for her to travel a few hours to our home so I can get started on fixing her up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment